Saturday, January 9, 2010

Getting started!

Went out to buy some AA rechargeable batteries today and finally started assembliing my toy!

These are the components for the "getting started" model:



Just following the printed manual and building my first form up. The final look of it is here:





Installed the LEGO programming software on my netbook, which is running quite smoothly. However I do think it is not very suitable to be running on my tiny screen. (Note that you won't be able to program your logic if you are running screen in less than 1024 x 768 resoulation. Since my netbook resolution is 1024 x 600, I have to use external lcd for using NXT-G properly. Lego should change the software so the panels can be resize and move around, they are currently fixed which is not flexible. >.<

The programming software provided by LEGO (NXT-G) is a graphical programming kit for easy programming on the NXT. The interface is quite simple to use and is not hard to use. However, as an embedded programmer myself, I'm still prefer to actual coding in language rather than using this kind of flow control type of graphical programming. I will definitely change to use alternative methods to start programming the NXT Intelligent Brick. For the time being, this will be good enough for testing and playing with the models offically provided.

Here's a screen shot of the programming software:




The above programs is a very simple test program which only set the NXT to rotate right 4 times and say something, repeat its action forever.




1 comment:

  1. I've had the same problem at my school. The software only displays fully at 1024 x 768, but our school's netbooks only display at 1024 x 600. I'd be very appreciative of anyone that can offer any advice to allow use to use the software with our netbooks since getting extra monitors or new computers is out of our budget and without a work around our robotics class is dead. Thanks, drshows@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete